Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Macro Insect Photography

Put the fly swatters down! I love looking into the eyes of insects with my lens. They fascinate me. Here are some shots from a few friendly bugs that allowed me to snap. Depth of field (DoF) is limited with up-close photography and blur results. Sometimes you just have to take what they give you too and don't have time to mess with settings. A lot of macro photography is shot manually too which makes it difficult at times. 


These were all shot on a yellow lily flower I purchased back in the summer. I hoped it would bring the bugs out and it worked. The first photo is a yellow jacket, the second two may be baby grasshoppers, and the fourth is your common house fly. He just kept watching me. Hope you enjoy these!









The two photos below are a dragonfly that got comfortable and allowed me to get about 6 inches from his face. Pretty cool!



This Ladybug was fun to shoot. She just sat and posed the whole time I was shooting.


This is a wasp we managed to catch a photo of. They are very quick movers and don't sit still for very long at all. Manual macro photography of wasps that are alive is difficult because you literally have to follow him around with your lens and you have to be careful not to disturb their leaves because you don't want them to move on you and sting!





2 comments:

  1. These are great as always. What type of lens did you use? I love the last one where he just stares at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny, I shoot with a Sigma 70mm 2.8 Macro lens. Once in a while I luck out and they will stare...thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete